Mirror Image?

General MeshCAM Questions

Mirror Image?

Postby devildog1024 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 pm

For some reason my CNC is cutting a mirror image of what's showing on the screen in MeshCam. Is there a setting that generates a mirror image when the G code is generated?
devildog1024

Re: Mirror Image?

Postby devildog1024 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 am

OBTW, I'm using MeshCam 5.
devildog1024

Postby Randy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:06 am

Did this just start happening? You might have the X axis reversed on your machine. (I did that once myself.) +X direction should move the cutter to the right relative to the material. If you have a gantry and fixed workpiece, the cutter will physically move to the right for +X moves. If you have a mill (fixed head and moving table) the table will move to the left for +X moves.

MeshCAM generates standard gcode, and gcode doesn't have a command for axis mirroring or scaling that I can find. But in Mach3, and I'm sure EMC, you can define the positive direction of your axes. If you are using Mach3 to control your machine, you can have a sanity check by loading the gcode and seeing if the toolpath display looks like you expect. If that looks right but your moves are still mirrored, you have the X axis reversed for sure.

Another possibility is if you recently edited your MeshCAM post file and accidentally put a minus sign in front of X moves. Something like
Code: Select all
FEED_RATE_MOVE         = "G1-[X][Y][Z]"

But that would be extremely unlikely, and true negative X values would get two minus signs and your controller would balk at that.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM. Professional engineer on closed course, your mileage may vary. :ugeek:
Randy

Postby devildog1024 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply Randy. As a matter of fact, it started happening after I set up the machine in my new shop. I'll double check my settings in Mach 3. I really hope it's something that simple!
devildog1024

Postby devildog1024 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:14 am

Turned out I had the X and Y axis' connected backward. Duh!
devildog1024

Postby Randy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:20 am

I won't tell if you don't tell... ;) Seriously, good job of troubleshooting. Things like that aren't obvious at first look.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM. Professional engineer on closed course, your mileage may vary. :ugeek:
Randy

Postby cnczane » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:53 am

Just for funsies, you could have non-uniformly scaled the geometry (Geometry->ScaleGeometry->non-uniform->X: -1, YZ: 1), and MC woulda flipped it...
--
CnCzane
If you have not received a reply from me in over a year, I am not ignoing you: more likely I am fallen asleep under a tree. Again. Please poke me if you think it worth your trouble.
cnczane

Return to General