Opening an SVG file in millimetre mode; a bug maybe?

General MeshCAM Questions

Opening an SVG file in millimetre mode; a bug maybe?

Postby mrvm » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi

I'm using the trial edition of MeshCam (not PRO), (MeshCAM 6, Build 26, on OS X Sierra V10.12.3). I would like to work exclusively in mm.

When I open the attached file (its in a Zip, sorry, the uploader wouldn't accept the .svg file), strange things happen. This is what happens:

I go File -> Open > Select the file BackPanel.svg (This file is internally dimensioned in metric; it is a plate 151mm x 69.5mm).

I get a pop-up "Select units" with my plate's dimensions correctly converted to inches (5.945" x 2.736") and the "Inch" radio button is selected.

If I change the radio button to "mm", I'll import my plate as 5.945mm x 2.736mm, which is a little small!

If I don't select "mm" as the units, then I keep having to redo measurements in mm, and keep getting annoying approximations (e.g. 1.494mm instead of 1.500mm).

Is there a way to work around this? This is otherwise a very nice program!

M
--
Attachments
example.zip
(720 Bytes) Downloaded 3 times
mrvm

Re: Opening an SVG file in millimetre mode; a bug maybe?

Postby Randy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi M, and welcome to the forum. I'm unfamiliar with SVG files in general, but opening yours in a text editor shows that it is pretty similar to Postscript in style. The dimensions are indeed in millimeters from context (other than the width and height, which are specifically called out as mm). The page https://mpetroff.net/2013/08/analysis-of-svg-units/ has some discussion of units in SVG files.

This may be an importing bug. But please try the attached file (I don't have access to my MeshCAM PC for a while so I can't test it myself). I added "mm" suffixes to the viewBox dimensions. If that still doesn't import properly, it might be an importing bug (or at least shortcoming in dealing with this "flavor" of SVG export. In any case, it probably is something to bring up to Rob at the MeshCAM support email.

Does the program you used to generate the SVG, export as DXF possibly? DXF is much more supported in MeshCAM, probably the best support after STL files. Just a thought.

Randy
Attachments
BackPanel_mod.zip
(690 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby mrvm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi Randy

I have very little luck with DXF files; all the objects get stacked on top of each other in the bottom left-hand corner of my plate, and I have tried all the variants of DXF that LibreCAD has to offer. Additionally, the DXF object lose all their fine detail - the lines are all approximated by very thick, boxy lines.

I will try mailing Rob directly; does he not visit here? :-)

M
--
mrvm

Postby mrvm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Randy,

On importing your modified SVG file, the panel is now 2.097 x 0.965 *inches*, and this doesn't change when I flip between mm and inches!

M
--
mrvm

Postby Randy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:23 pm

That definitely sounds like a bug to report to Rob. I've never dealt with SVG myself in any application so I'm not of any help at this point... Rob is up to his eyeballs with the Nomad 883 and Shapeoko 3 that Carbide3D is making, and his main focus these days seems to be with the control software for running the machines. The last time he logged onto the forum here was Jan 25.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. MeshCAM user since Beta 5 in 2003. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15333 :ugeek:
Randy

Postby ArchieF » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi mrvm,
played around with your example file.
Got your dimensions without calculations.

Richard
Attachments
01_Example after import.png
01_Example after import.png (37.56 KiB) Viewed 83 times
02_Example Geometry Units set to MM.png
02_Example Geometry Units set to MM.png (41.41 KiB) Viewed 83 times
03_Example setting thickness dialog ( 1 = 1 inch ! ).png
03_Example setting thickness dialog ( 1 = 1 inch ! ).png (64.7 KiB) Viewed 83 times
04_Example setting thickness after clicking ok.png
04_Example setting thickness after clicking ok.png (63.42 KiB) Viewed 83 times
05_Example import after import and showing the geometry properties.png
05_Example import after import and showing the geometry properties.png (88.42 KiB) Viewed 83 times
AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHz

4 GB RAM

Don't waste water - dilute it !
ArchieF

Postby mrvm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:24 pm

ArchieF,

Are you using MeshCam there? The pictures and dialogues don't look familiar (but I recognise my plate). The Z-dimension fluctuates wildly in your attachments!

M
mrvm

Postby ArchieF » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:30 pm

M ! I'm sorry. My screenshots are made with MeshCAM 7.

So I tried it again with MeshCAM 6 . No success with the units to be correct in mm and correct values.

Don't know why

As a little help please find attached the same file in dxf format which seems to load properly as 2D dxf

Richard
Attachments
BackPanel.zip
Contains BackPanel.dxf. please unzip
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

4 GB RAM

ArchieF

Postby mrvm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi ArchieF,

No problem! I've downloaded v7(beta) build 4, and it has very similar errors. It also seems to get the conversion factor (mm vs inch) inverted a lot.

How did you create that DXF file, please?

M
--
mrvm

Postby ArchieF » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Opened BackPanel.svg with CorelDraw11. Came in with the corect dimensions.

Saved it in dxf format and ready !

Since your drawing was obviously created with LibreCad why didn't you save it in DXF format ?

Richard

4 GB RAM

ArchieF

Next

Return to General